Normally agricultural declarations work somewhat like this:
- You fill out a form which asks you about fruit/vegetable/meat
- As you exit customs, there’s a customs agent collecting the forms
- If you declared something, they either ask you some questions about it or confiscate it
But it worked this way on a recent flight to Hawaii:
- On the plane we filled out a form
- The stewardess went along the plane and collected the forms
- At the airport no one asked anything about fruit or vegetables, we just received a COVID test and went along our merry way. I’ve actually declared some fruit so it was surprising no one wanted to see it.
So how is it supposed to work? Why did the stewardess collect the form rather than agricultural inspection agents?