Can MS FileStream experts help me in the following areas:
I have 5 DB applications with FileStream enabled.
Current size of ** C: for FileStream Blob, the data is 5TB **
All DBs have the drive format below:
Data Reader – A:
Log Drive – B:
FileStream Drive – C:
We are now activating the Encrypting file system, especially to disable the current FileStream player. C: and create a new RE: and point the FileStream data to D: by restoring a full backup.
Can I indicate a new RE: for FileStream WITH MOVE OPTION, will it work, as if we were changing it for .mdf and .ldf files? Please correct me with the exact process.
Please guide me on the steps below:
- STOP to SQL services
- Change C: name to RE:
- Create a new drive as C:
- Enable Encrypting File System (EFS) on Current New Versions C:
- Restore a full backup WITH MOVE OPTION for FileStream points to a new C:
Will the plan above work? Should I first activate the EFS system, then restore the database (or) First, restore the database, then activate the EFS system?
Please help me with the key questions below according to my thinking above:
- How to copy FileStream data from C: (Old) -> C: (New)
- Is the renaming of the existing drive after stopping SQL Services correct? How to rename a FileStream player from an existing name C:
- Can we back up only FileSream data? Not the structured data? Possible?
- How to validate the name change of C: and the data is accurate from the original C: before the name changes?
Also another way of thinking:
** Full Cloning ** C: ****
STOP ALL DB services
Switching from SQL Server to Manual
Replace the new name of the cloned drive letter with C:
Start the database servers
Will this process work? Please advise.
Since we can copy the data file after stopping SQL services, can we copy the FileSream data to a new location after STOP database services?