I thought it was simple, but I had a chat with one of my players who didn't see it the same way as I did.
According to the characteristics of the subclass, at the 3rd level:
(…) immediately after you use the Attack action with your astral arms in turn you can do an additional attack with your astral arms as a bonus action. The number of additional attacks increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to two at the 11th level and three at the 17th level.
Quite simple: at level 3, you can make a total of two attacks (1A and 1BA), at level 11 three attacks (1A and 2BA) and at level 17 four attacks (1A and 3BA)
Then, at level 5, like each martial class, you get an additional attack:
From level 5, you can attack twice, instead of once, each time you perform the attack action on your turn.
In addition, at level 17, you benefit from the "Full Astral Self" function, which offers the following advantages, among others:
Astral barrage. Whenever you use the Extra Attack function to attack twice, you can instead attack three times using your astral arms.
The difference of opinion is whether the Extra Attack function means that you are performing the Attack action. As such, my player suggests that the astral monk evolves as follows:
- at the 3rd level can make 2 attacks (1A and 1BA)
- at 5th level can make 4 attacks (1A + 1BA + 1 additional attack + 1 astral self-attacks (1 per attack action taken) in BA)
- at level 11 can make 8 attacks (1A + 1 additional attack + 4 astral self-attacks (2 per attack action taken) in BA)
- at level 17 can make 12 attacks (1A + 2 additional attack + 9 astral self-attacks (3 per attack action taken) in BA)
First of all, it sounds absurd, even if it satisfies my Jojo fantasy.
The way I interpret is:
- at level 17, he could make 6 attacks (1A + 2 additional attack + 3 bonus astral self-attacks).
All the above instances take into account the BA that the monk would have needed to invoke the astral self.
What are your thoughts? I think typing this has strengthened the response to 6 attacks, but I would like to hear the opinion of others on the issue.