I receive an "IP address not found" error.
I had a S3 compartment pointing to my domain and it worked.
I've removed the S3 bucket and rebuilt it. Since then, I can not make it work anymore.
In fact, I have redone all the steps.
- Create the S3 bucket (example.com and www.example.com)
- Done these two public.
- Assign one to the host and the other to the redirection
- Addition of compartment strategies for both
In the road 53
- Creating a hosted zone
- Adding an Alias Record A & # 39; pointing to my S3 bucket (one for each) assigned to those in the S3 bucket from the drop-down list
In the Cloudfront
- Creation of a distribution pointing to the original S3 with additional names and a wildcard.
I have also verified the certificate needed to perform this step in the certificate manager.
The problem seems to be that when I removed the bucket, (I did it to change region).
In one way or another, he refuses to connect to the new IP set.
I have already done it before (and not the deletion) and I have had success.
If someone knows what the problem might be, or if you think it's an AWS business that just takes a very long time to update globally, please let me know. I do not know how to check the status of this kind of thing. And I do not want to interrupt anything that can work behind the scenes.
Thank you in advance.