My Macbook was stolen last week. I need a new one for work, but I am currently stuck in France until May 8 for my flight back to the United States.
It seems to me that I have two options, both with major negative consequences:
- Buy a new or used Macbook in France
- pretty much sure that I will have to pay customs taxes when I enter the United States because it was bought in France
- If it's new, must pay a French tax of 20% (VAT) on the original product AND the US customs tax
- Buy a new one, send it to my parents in the United States, have it delivered to me in France
- when receiving the package, will pay the French customs tax (20% or more?)
In either case, I see no way to get a new laptop without paying taxes two times. And I just can not afford it. Is there a way to get a new or used Macbook without paying absurd taxes in both countries?