Two days after upgrading to Catalina, I noticed that some subdirectories are missing. I do not know exactly when these directories disappeared while I was on vacation, but here is what happened.
- I went to Catalina a few days ago
- Decided to delete some directories, mainly
node_modulesfrom old projects, to get free space.
- After that, I did not touch anything and found that some directories were missing when I returned home.
Original size of
www directory was somewhere around 55 GB and a similar size is displayed in the Finder. DaisyDisk also shows that there are 55 GB of hidden files somewhere (we do not know where).
sudo du -sh www/ displays a directory size of 10 MB.
Free space before deletion
node_modules was 11 GB and after deletion (now) is 20 GB. If the files under my
www directory were really deleted, the available space would be much bigger.
From other answers found here and on the internet, I tried the following solutions:
- Tried restoration using DiskDrill. Without success.
- Run first aid under Disk Utility. Without success.
- The directory of relocated items is empty. Without success.
What can I try?