How do I fix slow wifi on an iPhone XR (iOS 13.4.1)?
The boss has an iPhone XR (iOS 13.4.1), and I have an iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.5). The iPhone 6 gets 100% better Mbps throughput around my house. I have validated my router health and validated network setup on both phones. I have done all the reset/forget network cycling recommended by guides like this and this and this.
I measure the same performance percentage difference–iPhone 6 performs roughly 110% better–in all these tested scenarios:
- 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz network connection on both phones, simultaneously
- 802.11 ac 5 GHz network connection on both phones, simultaneously (first screenshot)
- Bluetooth off (second screenshot)
My test was:
- hold both phones in hand
- test average Mbps download speeds using Wi-Fi Sweetspots app
- average over ~10 seconds
- test 6 different spots around the house
- record results
Here are the side-by-side results of the latter two tests; left side is iPhone XR + iOS 13.4.1, right side is iPhone 6 + iOS 12.4.5
Test with bluetooth radio
off on both phones:
In both tests, “Spot 4” is standing directly next to the Wifi router.