Facebook Takes Legal Action Over User Profile Scraping

“Facebook Inc. and Facebook Ireland file legal action in Portugal against two people for scraping user-profiles and other data from Facebook’s website.”

legal – Can holders of Israeli residence visas enter area A in the West Bank?

There is a great post about this exact issue on Quora. To answer your questions…

Since October 2000, a military warrant of a major general in the IDF central region command (Maj. Gen. Itzhak Eitan at the time) forbids Israelis from entering into the Palestinian Authority A areas (as designated in the Oslo accords).

The warrant is very short (1 page, Hebrew) and states that the area is “closed”: Israeli citizens as recognised by Israeli law, are forbidden from entering, and required to immediately leave if they are in that area. People who are “not citizens of the area, who have a standing visa to be in Israel” are not allowed to enter area A as well. (“מי שאינו תושב האיזור ובידו אשרת כניסה בתוקף לישראל” which may refer to foreign nationals, the language is vague)

So legally speaking the situation is not entirely clear. The military order itself is on shaky legal grounds and it’s not being systematically enforced:

The warrant was tested in Israeli courts and ruled to be one that can
be enforced (i.e soldiers may prohibit entry for an Israeli citizen),
though in April 2013 a civil court ruled that civilians failing to
comply with it are not to be arrested (after the fact).

On the ground, de facto, Israeli Arabs are not stopped at the
checkpoints and generally speaking, usually allowed to enter area A
without hindrance. Also tourists / foreign nationals are usually
allowed in. So, almost always, only Israeli Jews are turned back.

This means you should be okay, regardless of your current visa in Israel. If stopped by Israeli military personnel apologize and try again at another time. Also see our related question on visiting Palestine as an Israeli citizen.

P.S. A rough Google Translate of the linked military order from October 2000 can be found here.

Is it legal to advertise a domain name for sale on its internet home page?

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4]
Greetings to all!

I’ve a domain name to sell directly. The index page will state: the name is For Sale, list… | Read the rest of https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1834087&goto=newpost

legal – How long do I have to leave South Africa before returning?

You can stay 90 days in one go. The issue in your case is that you will return to SA before that visa expires. Technically, your second entry will be still on the first visa. There is a chance that they will not even give you a second 90 days visa. This thread here talks about this issue.

Further, same same applies for a single-entry residence permit:

I’ll be back soon – will I need a re-entry visa? If you are in South Africa on a valid permanent residence permit, and you leave the country temporarily, you – and your dependents, if any – will NOT need a re-entry visa, so long as your permit remains valid. This holds even though your permit may have “single entry” endorsed on it.

You best bet will likely be to exit the country, come back from the UK within the 90 days for your first visa and state the time of stay at immigration. If they just give you a second visa, you are good. If not, apply for an extension of the visa at the Department of home affairs.

Read more: http://www.southafrica.info/travel/documents/921813.htm#.UrAQT7TAg1F#ixzz2niiwNwwu

legal – Is taking photos prohibited at airports of Taiwan except those in Taipei?

I found the following information on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation:

  1. Дополнительные рекомендации с учетом особенностей страны

Во всех аэропортах острова, кроме тайбэйских, категорически запрещено фотографирование.

which translates to (via Google Translate):

  1. Additional recommendations based on country specifics.

At all airports of the island, except Taipei, photography is strictly prohibited.

I wasn’t able to find any source for this. Is this indeed the case? If so, is there a specific reason for that?

usability – Why do websites of alcohol products ask for age by showing drop downs rather than simply asking if you are of legal drinking age?

In the US, alcohol advertising is regulated by state and federal guidelines, as well as industry standards for self-regulation. For example, the Distilled Spirits Council has a set of guidelines for responsible digital marketing. Here’s what they say about age verification:

Age affirmation is a process or a mechanism by which users provide their full
date of birth (month, day and year) and, when appropriate, country of residence
to affirm they are of legal purchase age. Age affirmation mechanisms may vary
depending upon available technology and examples could include, among other
things, an age affirmation page, an email or instant messaging age affirmation, or the use of a site’s “registered user” database of users of legal purchase age.

Why this standard and not an “easier” method? If I had to speculate, it would be so that all advertisers would have a clear, obvious method for verifying age that would both meet legal standards and prevent less-responsible advertisers from trying to game the system.

If the age verification process were not crystal clear, and an underage drinker injured himself or others after visiting an alcohol company’s website, that could open the advertiser up to legal liability. With a form that the user has to complete and submit, then the alcohol advertiser could argue that they have done their due diligence and met their legal and ethical responsibilities.

legal – It is forbidden to climb Gangkhar Puensum, but what’s really stopping anyone?

In Bhutan, it is illegal to climb any mountain higher than 6000m, but what is stopping anyone from doing it anyway, and how likely is it that you would be found out?

I cannot imagine it is feasible to protect the mountains with a fence, or guards, and a person would be nearly impossible to spot on a mountain at a distance, so what is the mechanism for enforcement of this law?

legal – What are the rates posted on hotel room doors / in the lobby for?

Some localities call it a civil code, but I think it is uniform commercial code, where I live, being the rooms are rented for purposes of commerce.
Most states adopt some form of commercial or civil code to avoid price gouging, and one requirement is a maximum daily rate shall be posted in a conspicuous location, AND that rate shall be set at a prescribed schedule based upon the services & amenities offered by the hotel, so a Motel 6 is not going to charge like the Ritz Carlton.
Not posting these rates should also be a violation to the civil/commercial code, and at that point the fee would be assumed to be ZERO dollars, plus fines to the local governing body having authority over innkeeper’s, for not posting the rates.
Some states may not control this, but they are in the minority.

Gas stations are also regulated against price gouging.
I have successfully shut down a few businesses for violating state UC codes. Others have paid steep fines.
These posted rates are the maximum rate the hotel can charge for one night, during a special event, or during peak season.

Recently a dive hotel like an old run down Day’s Inn attempted to charge $1000 for one night, but the maximum allowable was $400, for a room meeting those standards.
The room was not posted, so the customer was refunded $3000 + 3x travel and legal expenses, and the owner was fined $10,000, for not posting their rates.

With the solar eclipse looming, price gouging is rampant in some smaller towns.
I put 25 gallons of gasoline in a truck that had a 20 gallon fuel tank. The owner of that station was shut down, and fined.
I spent a lot of time traveling for work, and crooks are quite plentiful. I have seen overcharges on my credit cards more than once, too.

legal – What are the requirements to drive my UK registered car in Europe after Brexit?

I haven’t seen a concise list of requirements as to what I need to have in order for me to drive my UK registered car in Europe after Brexit. (after 31st Dec 2020)

I know how strict eg. the german TUV is, compared to what is required for an MOT in the UK – I believe until the UK was still part of the EU, as long as a foreign car had a valid technical / mechanical approval (MOT), it was accepted as safe to drive on any road (with the exception of the ominous stickers on the headlights, not to blind the oncoming traffic – left hand drive vs right hand drive)

Edit: this is about using the car for a one-off recreational return trip – max 1-2 weeks

Is there any legal reports protocol/approach for Websites that might be break any laws unintentionally [closed]

We have some interest project like for generic problem solving,

  1. How to report the security problem? https://securitytxt.org/
  2. How robots must index and follow website? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard
  3. Who is behind the science? http://humanstxt.org/
  4. Advertisement? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ads.txt

Consider we have website and many content or etc, break any laws like copyright, fake content and etc.

How webmaster must know about such problem as protocol that web respect on that.