since the middle of this month, an Excel file that was indexed in Google search is reported as a Soft 404 on the Search Console
We have several Excel, Powerpoint, Word, … files indexed and working according to https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35287?hl=en so we do not know what is the origin of & # 39; error is for this specific file.
What we did to fix the problem
- Download file in multiple browsers by inspecting network traffic and response headers – same file returned, same response headers (as expected)
- Inspected URL in Search Console – this shows the Soft 404
- Checked with Google tester robots.txt to make sure Google sees the file – the answer is yes
- Checked HTTP response codes using httpstatus.io – returns status 200 and the same headers we saw in step 1.
- Submitted the file for validation to Google – Google Search Console returned with "Failed to validate".
Before resubmitting for re-validation, I would appreciate if you have any ideas on what we may have missed in our testing process?
thank you so much