A small organisation I work for uses Google as mail provider. As a non-profit, they have a free account. Each user has 30GB storage space. The account is used for Gmail, Google Meet, and Google Drive.
At the office they use a shared Samba/SMB network drive, which is not available when they work at home. First they wanted to set up VPN, but now Google Drive is accepted as the preferred solution, and with the Windows or Mac plugin files can be opened locally on the laptop, like a local file.
We need one big shared drive of about 80GB. If needed, this can be split up into multiple smaller drives, in case of a 30GB limit. The account seems to have about 4TB storage. Currently everybody who has access to the Samba share, has access to all files. This should probably be split up, and rights should be implemented.
As a start I’ve created a group name networkdrive with email address firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m new to Google Workspace, and I’m trying to figure out how to set this up properly. Below some requirements:
- 80GB of shared data
- Not all users should have access to the networkdrive files
- Management should have their own share, managementdrive
- Current shares between users should not be affected
- How do I share from the networkdrive account?
- Or do I share from my personal account?
- Where does mail sent to the networkdrive mail account end up? How do I read that?
- Does managementdrive only need a different group?